Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Birth Day

Well, it's no secret that I've been a little busy and have failed to maintain my blog. I have tons of stuff to post, and I think it's about time I get to updating!

So, June 3rd was my scheduled induction. After a visit with the OBGYN on the 1st and a high blood pressure reading, he decided it was time for Miss Aubrey to make her debut.

We arrived at the hospital at 6am, ready for the big day. As odd as it was to have this all planned and scheduled, it was really nice to have time to plan, have enough notice so my family could get into town, make sure everything was ready, and even get a shower before we headed in.

After checking in, I was settled in my room and getting hooked up to the monitors by 6:30. After I was all hooked up, the nurse told me I had had already had contractions registering 3 minutes apart... Apparently, I had already been having contractions and didn't even realize it!

The plan was to go all natural for the birth, and knowing I had already been having contractions without really feeling them was definitely encouraging. They started me on the pitocin to get things moving along, as my blood pressure was still pretty high. Doc came in and broke my water around 7:30am and we were well underway.

Jerry rubbed my back during every contraction and brought me all the ice I could want, he was a great coach and totally supportive. I could not have asked for a better partner in this!! Needless to say, all things considered, I was still feeling pretty optimistic about the whole natural birth thing.

(J rubbing my back through the contractions)

About 5 hours in, I was really starting to be in pain. I agreed to let them give me some medicine in the IV but was still resisting the epidural. (What can I say, I'm stubborn.) Let's just say the medicine sucked. It wasn't so much "pain" medication like they told me, as a sedative. So there I was, essentially sedated and "sleeping" but still feeling EVERYTHING. Not so much help. When it finally wore off, and I was reaching my 7th hour of labor, I practically demanded the epidural. LOL

I was in pain, pain like I've never felt before. I was shaking and breathing heavy and quite frankly, it scared the heck out of me. I knew that if I didn't take the epi that there was no way I was going to make it to the end in one piece... and neither would anyone around me. haha! The epidural itself was pretty awful. It certainly didn't help that the anesthesiologist was a freakin' jerk and on his cell phone the whole time. Believe me- he got some rude, snotty comments from me regarding his cell phone usage. (And then I reported him to the hospital administrator post-delivery. Jackass.) It's a good thing they made Jerry leave the room for the epi because I feel sure he would have kicked that guys ass. What unprofessional behavior on his part, not to mention the fact that his distraction was at my expense.

Anyway, with the epidural in place and a clicker in my hand to administer more medicine as I needed it, I was feeling much better. No longer drowsy, but in much much less pain. 'Round about the 10th hour of labor, it was getting close to pushing time. The nurse didn't even have to tell me I was ready, because I could feel it. No pain still, but I could tell she was ready and was bearing down to come out. I pushed for about 4 contractions and out came our beautiful baby girl!! (4:47 pm)

Jerry cut the cord and they proceeded to clean her up and get her vitals. She weighed in at 8lb. 3.9oz. and measured 21 inches long. We heard her cry for the first time and both burst into tears! Here's some pictures of us holding her for the first time!

So... After everyone had a chance to come in to meet her, the baby nurse came in to give her her first bath.
(some of these pictures have poor quality... but I've been collecting them from several different people, so they're all different.)

What was really cool about the way the hospital set up the birthing center was that everything was done right in our room.  Labor, delivery, all the baby checking, cleaning up, and our whole stay was in the same suite. It was pretty nice to be able to settle in- and to not have them grabbing the baby and taking her away all the time. She was always right there with us day and night. :)

(one of the nurses made us a special hat with a bow on it since she's a girl! SO sweet & so cute!)

So that was pretty much our first day with Aubrey! It was a roller coaster, and one of the coolest and most emotional experiences I've ever had. Maybe I was just lucky, I don't know, but it was not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, for sure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment